50 people gathered at Paesano restaurant in Ann Arbor MI to pay tribute to a behind the scenes hero of St. Louis Center. Nancy Graebner-Sundling became an active member of the Community Advisory Council in 2012, shortly after she was named president and CEO of St. Joseph Mercy Chelsea Hospital. Nancy has been a driving force in helping to modernize procedures and programs that benefit the daily lives of the people living at the Center.
Nancy and the Chelsea Community
Nancy has woven an unmistakable and indelible mark of excellence, leadership, grace, and pride into the fabric of the wonderful communities of Chelsea and Dexter. Community residents speak with a sense of pride when mentioning our hospital. Over the past ten years she championed delivering exceptional health care and meeting the special health care needs of our growing and vibrant community. She was driven by a desire to serve and did so with a sense of humility and with a passion to improve our community every way she could.
Hospital capital improvements and other projects have Nancy’s fingerprints all over them. Some of her many accomplishments include:
- the renovation and updating of the Comprehensive Cancer Program with the new Cancer Building and its state-of-the-art equipment
- updating the surgical department and inpatient rehab capabilities
- enhanced Emergency Department
- expanded therapies and diagnostic imaging departments
- beautification of the hospital’s campus including the extensive expansion and completion of the two-story Atrium
- the negotiation and implementation of a joint venture agreement with Michigan Medicine which expanded access to services in Chelsea and surrounding communities
- and the list could continue on, taking us from being a small town with a great hospital to a vibrant and growing city with a fantastic hospital providing a full array of health care services comparable to a hospital in a large metropolitan area.
Nancy also makes time to directly contribute to our community by serving on the following boards:
- Washtenaw County Community Mental Health
- Chelsea State Bank
- Chelsea Senior Center
- Five Healthy Towns Foundation
- Chelsea Chamber of Commerce
- St. Louis Center’s Community Advisory Council
Also, in recognition of her leadership and service to the Chelsea Community, in 2020, Nancy was named Chelsea State Bank Woman of the Year, and Chelsea Citizen of the Year by the Chelsea Chamber of Commerce.
Nancy received the Michigan Health and Hospital Association Special Recognition Award on June 30, 2022 during their Annual Membership Meeting at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island.
A Night to Honor Nancy
Smiles and laughter filled the room at Paesano Restaurant and Wine Bar on June 26th, 2022. Paesano owner, Mike Roddy, is a huge supporter of St. Louis Center and welcomes a group each year to celebrate someone who has made a difference for the residents of St. Louis Center. For the year 2022, Nancy Graebner-Sundling was chosen.
A special menu was prepared and served to the awaiting guests. Ken Unterbrink welcomed everyone as the wine flowed and meal was enjoyed.
Nancy has just retired from her position at the hospital but remains a member of the St. Louis Center Community Advisory Committee. Attendees at the dinner event were pleased to honor this inspiring woman for her many achievements not only at SLC, but at the hospital and in the broader Chelsea community.
Don’t miss any St. Louis Center events, get on the list for notifications when tickets become available. Just submit the simple form below!