After 52 years of operation, the needs and functions of the St. Louis Center have changed considerably. Our residential populations and staffing needs have grown tremendously. Although we have been maintaining and updating our center and resources as we can, we must plan now for the future. Through St. Louis Center's Legacy Project, a 10-year renovation and new construction project funded by the $10,000,000 "Legacy Campaign," St. Louis Center will update, upgrade and uplift its current homes and facilities and build new homes for people with special needs who are aging.
The St. Louis Center Special Needs Playground Project
The reconstruction of the main playground, now called the "Special Needs Playground," is one of many reconstruction projects to be completed with Legacy Campaign funds. The Special Needs Playground was dedicated in Spring 2013 though several key furnishings are yet to be purchased.
The new Special Needs Playground, complete with a walking/running/biking track, basketball court, plenty of durable seating, and shaded picnic area - among other elements - will help meet the fitness and wellness needs of children and adults with intellectual and developmental disabilites for many years to come.
How You Can Help:
- Celebrate the life and achievements of special individuals with a gift to the playground in their honor or memory. A special feature recognizing these individuals will be incorporated into the design of the playground.
The major items that remain for purchase include:
|Bicycle racks (2)||$1,000 each|
|Basketball Standards (2)||$1,200 each|
|Plexis curved bench, no back (3)||$3,000 each|
|Carousel adaptive picnic tables (1)||$2,500 each|
Other Capital Needs:
- Air conditioning for residential and administrative areas
- Bathroom upgrades to adhere to new American Disabilities Standards
- Brick masonry upgrades
- Cement sidewalk replacements
- Electrical system upgrade
- Fire alarm and detection system
- Floor coverings – carpet and vinyl
- Interior doors
- Major appliances
- Plumbing fixtures
- Replacement autos and Vans
- Roof repairs
- Technological updates
If you would be interested in donating your time or resources to help us with any of these needs, please contact us at email@example.com.